DIY Doctor

Main navigation

What is this on the wall under old wallpaper?

Postby TryMyselfFirst » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:36 pm


Please forgive my lack of knowledge, we have just started and looking to gain a lot of knowledge over the next year or so.

We have purchased a 1970's property and have started removing the tired and dated wallpaper (well, layers of it anyways)...

After removing the wallpaper within the staircase, hallway and landing, the walls are pink/purple and seem relatively smooth.

Question 1: I am not sure what type of coat/plaster this is, can we paint over it or does it require skimming? The walls are in good condition but I have not seen this before and not sure if they will look good with a decent paint on the top (with a thinned base coat/primer)?

Question 2: Within one of the bedrooms, I stripped the layers of wallpaper and paint and have come to this. I can see that I am now at some form of paper layer with the plaster clearly visible underneath. We are going to skim these walls but wanted to know if I have to remove everything down to the plaster or can they safely be skimmed over?

Many thanks!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:11 pm

Postby stoneyboy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:18 pm

Hi try,yselffirst,
Question 1 - looks like standard thistle plaster to me, rub down, apply a mist coat, etc.
Question 2 - looks like a dry lined wall. You probably need to have it skimmed.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 5084
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics