What materials to use when sealing a doorway that used to have a fire door fitted?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mattski
Labourer
Labourer

What materials to use when sealing a doorway that used to have a fire door fitted?

by Mattski » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:00 pm

Hi,
I wonder if anyone out there knows what materials to use when sealing a doorway that used to have a fire door fitted?

Especially what plasterboard to use and whether there should be a sealant between the old and new plasterboard to stop smoke getting through in the event of a fire.

The doorway is from a ground floor kitchen to a hallway with stairs leading up to the 1st and 2nd floors in my Townhouse. I want to skim over the plasterboard to finish so want to make sure any sealants will accept the plaster afterwards.

Thanks for your time and help.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Mattski,
For smoke and fire prevention, you can either use fireboard which is pinky red in colour or double board wall. This sometimes causes problem regarding the width of door frame. Then you can buy a fire resistant sealer that also prevents smoke creeping through edges of doors. It comes in the same type of tubes as the silicon, decorators chalk, no nails etc... and can be applied using the same gun.
KB

Mattski
Labourer
Labourer

by Mattski » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Great, thanks for the advice.
Plan to start this at the weekend.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 am