What's the going rate for gas appliance related work
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
invisiblebloke
Apprentice
Apprentice

What's the going rate for gas appliance related work

by invisiblebloke » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:12 pm

Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for someone to disconnect a gas hob and then reconnect another one. Rates paid so far: Disconnect - £50 + vat, Reconnect - £74 incl Vat (includes cost of short section of pipe and a service valve). Both jobs done very neatly, I might add. So far, the reconnect and disconnect has cost me almost as much as the hob itself. I've had people tell me £60 was common, one person had it done for £40. Is there an industry standard?.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:48 pm

Nope, if they give a price and you're willing to pay...........

Best advice I can give is ask around, don't go for the first RGI you come across.

The prices do seem quite steep, for 2 trips I would have charged £40- £50. If it was to disconnect and re-connect at the same time £30.

htg

invisiblebloke
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re prices for connecting hobs

by invisiblebloke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks for that. Maybe it might have been different if the guy who disconnected at the first visit also did the reconnection as well. Unfortunately he let me down and I had to get someone else in at very short notice. I did ring a few firms but availability was always an issue. I wasn't really in a position to haggle and did feel as though I had been taken advantage of. I'll be interested to read other people's experiences.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:08 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:40 am