What settings should my boiler / thermostat be on?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glowboy
Labourer
Labourer

by glowboy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi,

I have a suprima 50 boiler system. Has anyone any ideas how it can be used most efficiently. For example i have had the heating on continuosly at about 19degrees for a while but the house never seems just nice, its always a bit cold. Should i turn the stat up and programme the boiler to only come on for a few hours a day, as i have read elsewhere, or just carry on as i am. Also, how long does it take to heat the water as this is continuosly on as well, ie for 2 showers in morning, bath at night. I am convinced that i am wasting money and energy and would be grateful for any info and assistance. The house is new, constructed in 2006.

mattpark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mattpark » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 am

I don't know what type of system you have but if your house is '2006' you should almost certainly have an efficient system.
19 degrees sounds fine - it shoulld be quite comfortable. I 'm happy to have mine on 17 degrees but rarely open ant windows. Do you have heating on overnight - it isn't necessary.
Do your have thermostatic valves on your rads ? You may need to tweak these.
It shouldnt be necessary to have hot water on all hte time. If you go to work during the day its pointless having it on then, consider turning the hot water off for a few hours in the middle of the day.
I'd also recommend switching it off between say midnight and 5am (depending on your bath/shower times.

glowboy
Labourer
Labourer

by glowboy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks for that, i will try that for a while and see how i get on.
Cheers.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1