What will the future bring, can the electricial supply cope?
Find help, tips and information on renewable energy sources such as solar, wind etc.... and also alternative energy & heating production.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

What will the future bring, can the electricial supply cope?

by ericmark » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 pm

It seems as if electric is the key, be it solar, wind, heating, cars, even public transport we look to electric as a way to transport and convert energy.

An electric solar panel can deliver far more energy than same size water, so although at first thoughts one would say heat water direct, in real terms an immersion heater and electric panel is better.

However I look at my house as an example, the electric supply is 60 amp, or 13.8 kW and the oil fired central heating is 24 kW and if using an electric car normally around 7.4 kW so would need around 45 kW to supply an all electric home. So around 196 amp over double what I use now. And much of that will not have the diversity of the supply I am using now, that 7.4 kW likely used all night to charge car, and so there will be a problem building enough power stations, so some central control likely required.

So some where some how likely there will need to be local energy stores to smooth out the demand, which the input at least is controlled by the power distributor. So the new car chargers do have links to DNO so they can be turned off remotely, not sure what happens in the morning when you find the car is not charged? Also smart meters can be remotely turned off, again not sure what you do when you find no lights?

So it would seem in the future it is likely we get an essential supply and non essential supply likely at different rates so non essential is cheaper, or some variable rate supply and you have a telemetry link to tell you when electric is cheap, or expensive and you can set auto switches to only use power when rate is under a set level.

However to do this likely the home wiring will need to suit, and homes tend to last at least 50 years between re-wires, so we need to know now what is planned for 50 years time, so what are the plans, we hear news about all electric cars, but first thing we need is the homes designed to cope with it all.

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:48 am