What wood to use !
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
roofy
Labourer
Labourer

What wood to use !

by roofy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:22 am

Can anyone give me ideas on what type of wood to use for building a lynchgate.The upright main beams are to be 8in square and concreted in place.The lynchgate will be 12ftx7ft with tiled roof.The reason i am asking is that i wanted to use oak but it is to expensive.What other types of wood could i use,and what are the pros and cons.
Thanks

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi. What a great project, wish it was mine.

Anything durable would do really. Treated exterior softwood would do it if you are looking for the least cost route. You'd have to stain it or paint it

Given that oak is one of the cheaper durable hardwoods it might be the best option if you want hardwood. It is also very traditional, looks great ages well and can be left untreated.

You might find something else (IPE) springs to mind, but you are looking at sizeable timbers there, and it ain't going to be that easy to find.

I'd have thought you are looking at enough timber to get a reasonable price on oak from a decent wood merchant.

Rather than concrete it in, coudn't you set in on a small brick or stone wall. Again that'd be quite typical, look really great if done well, and keep the timbers out of the wet. Could easily last a few hundred years!

roofy
Labourer
Labourer

thanks

by roofy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:58 am

Thanks for your reply Oddbod.I have made up my mind now and intend to do the project in oak.
Roofy..

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:42 am