When is a Kitchen Classed as a Kitchen?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Justin R
Labourer
Labourer

When is a Kitchen Classed as a Kitchen?

Post by Justin R » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi,
newbie here.
My Dad needs a full time helper in the house so we are setting up the spare room for this person.
They will not be renting the room, just "living in".
We would like to give them some possibility of cooking in their room, so that during their private time they don't need to use the main kitchen, but I'm worried about coming up against building regs ie fire doors, electric certificates etc. and incurring major costs.
So my question is: How much can we add to the room like fridge, microwave, cooker, kitchen sink etc. before the bedroom becomes a kitchen according to the law?
In other words what is the definition of a kitchen?
Cheers
Justin

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: When is a Kitchen Classed as a Kitchen?

Post by collectors » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am

Best to contact your local council & building control department. I would also check if you might be eligible for any grant. I got a £12k grant for my mothers downstairs bathroom.
But seeing as your not extending or knocking down walls, it should all be ok as long as the trades you are using are registered for any gas or electrical works.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1