when pva is needed
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rambo77
Ganger
Ganger

when pva is needed

by rambo77 » Wed May 09, 2007 10:18 pm

hi can someone tell me the correct usage of pva when plastering if i use a bonding under coat will this need pva before applying the finishing coat if the bonding is left to dry for a few days

thedoctor2
Ganger
Ganger

by thedoctor2 » Thu May 10, 2007 6:49 am

HI
Think the answer to that is no , but in saying that its better to get the finish coat on before it gets to dry , hope this is of help to you

peadee
Labourer
Labourer

by peadee » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:44 am

you don't have to bond the basecoat as long as you are quick enough to skim it whilst it is still wet. Otherwise you should bond it, I always do and I'm a plasterer.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:08 am

On top of the above post, you can always wet down the base (scratch) coat with a bucket of water and a big brush before you apply the finish. Teh scratch should be wet to look at, ie dark, but without water runni9ng out of it. Any light patches will cause you problems with cracking of the skim.

Ross Boseley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: when pva is needed

by Ross Boseley » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:46 pm

[quote="rambo77"]hi can someone tell me the correct usage of pva when plastering if i use a bonding under coat will this need pva before applying the finishing coat if the bonding is left to dry for a few days[/quote]

Hi mate hope this helps if you skim it the same day or within 24 hours if you can avoid leaving it for any longer than that you should be fine if you have to leave it longer then either of the other two ways will work if applying pva though you need to make sure that you mix it correctly at 50% water and 50% pva. You should give it two coats one the night before you skim and another before you start. If you use the other method make sure your wall is completely covered with water and allow it to sit until the water stops running down the wall but the wall still feels wet to the touch. Good luck mate cuz if youve left it that long your arms will need to go like the clappers.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:04 am