Where to buy one gang two light switch with indicator light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Antandtrek
Labourer
Labourer

Where to buy one gang two light switch with indicator light

by Antandtrek » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:26 pm

My integrated garage light is operated by two light switches, one in the front of the garage and the other in the utility room inside the house. I want to replace the light switch in the utility room with one which has an inbuilt indicator light (neon?) so I can see easily if the garage light has been left on by mistake. Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a suitable lighting switch, preferably in ordinary white plastic.
Thanks in anticipation.

jont4
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Where to buy one gang two light switch with indicator light

by jont4 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 am

It's unlikely you will find a suitable switch which can be easily wired in for two reasons. Firstly most domestic switches with indicator lights are intended for use with immersion heaters and the like and are only one-way switches. Secondly, most light switches control only the live conductor; an indicator lamp would also require a neutral conductor to be routed to the light switch which would not normally be the case. It would also require that the switch with the indicator was the one with it's common terminal connected to the light rather than the permanent live supply

It could be done by customising a switch and routing a neutral (and possibly also the switched live) to the switch but it would really require the services of a qualified electrician.

Antandtrek
Labourer
Labourer

by Antandtrek » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Jont4 - many thanks for the detailed response.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:58 pm

You can get switches with lights which show only when switched off. The idea to to make it easy to find the switch and the light tends to be very small so you would only see it if lighting was off in the room.

There are also grid switches which can be configured to do nearly anything but you would need a neutral in the switch.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:46 pm