Which DVD to LCD monitor combo??????
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andyboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Which DVD to LCD monitor combo??????

by Andyboy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:06 pm

I am looking to set up a lcd montior 19'-22' and connect it to a DVD player so i can just watch dvd's and then maybe use it for gaming later down the line but dvd watching for now.

I'm totally useless with home entertainment so would like any advice on what i will need to link the two, good makes, best dimensions for good viewing etc.

Not asking for much am i hahahaha

Any help would be greatly received.

ad1974
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ad1974 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:18 am

There are many different panels around now. You stated you were after a monitor....is this right, or did you mean tv?

If you get a decent lcd tv panel, then it will most likely have a 15 pin D Sub connection to be used as a monitor.
Best to look for one that has component input, especially if you dvd player supports progressive scan. (or HDMI is your player supports this).
Many new gaming consoles also output via component or RGB (VGA D Sub) so having a PC input would be a must I would say.

Lots of them are now HD ready, which for the current pricing structure would be best to go for, if you plan to use it for XBox 360, PS3 or Wii.

Andyboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Andyboy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:50 am

I meant to say monitor, yes. I'm not sure but i think that having a TV in your house that still has the capability of receiving a signal still needs a License....not 100% sure on this but i will check with TV Licensing.

I donnot have an aerial anymore so can't see the point of getting a TV and then MAYBE having to pay for a license, that is the whole point of trying to go down this route.

My laptop is capoot so i could have just got a bigger lcd screen and run dvd's through my laptop, might just be that i should get another laptop and screen and go down that route, more costly than i wanted, another rewason for going down the dvd player/monitor route.

Thanks for your help anyway....looks like i'll have to start saving.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:19 pm

It is up to the courts to decide. As each case is fought the case law expands and to say what is a TV one needs to be a brave man.
A device to receive TV signals when I was at school was an Aerial how one gets one in black and white or colour I would not know.
But when little old ladies get fined for having only a black and white license but her video recorder could record colour signals even though her black and white set could only allow her to watch them in black and white seems really unfair. Not sure where broad band fits in if one can view films and TV programs with a broad band connection does one need a license?
There is only one safe way, buy a colour TV license.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:36 am