Which glue to use to repair bucket?
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Decky
Labourer
Labourer

Which glue to use to repair bucket?

by Decky » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:09 pm

I’m trying to repair a plastic basket but nothing I use sticks to it. I’m not sure what sort of plastic it is but it has a waxy feel to it, probably polypropylene. After roughening the surface with a miniature grinding wheel I’ve tried gluing on nylon webbing to hold the edges together using 2 part epoxy (several times) and all sorts of household glues like Bostic and Super Glue. It holds for a while but soon comes adrift again, even with light handling.

There appears to be several glues on the market for polypropylene but do they work for this type of application? Is there anything that will bond it by slightly dissolving it a bit like polystyrene cement does?

Thanks.

B4Less
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Which glue to use to repair bucket?

by B4Less » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:59 am

1 product. Tek 7. Provided the hole is not too big. Try that. I once repaired a hole in a boat while it was leaking in water at a very fast rate with Tek 7. Done the job increadibly well and to this day it is still there in the hull below the waterline 6 years later doing the job.

Decky
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Which glue to use to repair bucket?

by Decky » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:50 pm

Many thanks for the reply but since I posted the query in July I’ve thrown the basket away and bought a new one. I’ll definitely note Tek 7 for the future though.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:03 am