who's job is it to bury wires?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
customerb
Labourer
Labourer

who's job is it to bury wires?

by customerb » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi All,

New user :)

We had alarm company come in and lay a load of wires. Some under floors but a good bit is surface monted. They said your builder will bury it. The builder came in to quote for skimming the house, but he wont bury the wires. The electrician said he would re-run the wires and hide them himself (i.e. redo the job).

I'm in a state of dispair! Who's responsibility is this job?

Many thanks,
customerB

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: who's job is it to bury wires?

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:33 am

[quote="customerb"]Hi All,

New user :)

We had alarm company come in and lay a load of wires. Some under floors but a good bit is surface monted. They said your builder will bury it. The builder came in to quote for skimming the house, but he wont bury the wires. The electrician said he would re-run the wires and hide them himself (i.e. redo the job).

I'm in a state of dispair! Who's responsibility is this job?

Many thanks,
customerB[/quote]

NEW USER
GET BACK TO THE ALARM COMPANY AND ASK WHY THEY HAVE NOT CONCEALED THIER CABLES. IT WOULD BE THIER RESPOSIBILITY , BEARING IN MIND YOU R PLASTERING WALLS
AND THEY SHOULD HAVE MECHANICALLY PROTECTED THEM WITH CAPPING. THEY WOULD THEN THEN PROBALY RUN IN SAFE ZONES AND GOOD COMPANYS PROVIDE A WIRING ROUTING SCHEDULE KEPT BY
THE ALARM PANEL FOR REFERENCE BY OTHER CONTRACTERS.
ELECTRICIANS ALSO USE SAFE ZONES TO RUN POWER CABLES !
THE BUILDER WILL NOT BURY THE WIRES BECAUSE HE THINKS THE ALARM PEOPLE SHOULD DO IT ! IF NO JOY GO TO TRADING STANDARDS.
BLAKEY1963

customerb
Labourer
Labourer

by customerb » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:23 am

This is Banham we're talking about on their quote it says "Where necessary, chasing and making good is to be carried out by the clients builder". I think I'll ask the governing body if there's a position on this -- probably not. But who would the governing body be?

Thanks,
customerB

customerb
Labourer
Labourer

by customerb » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:40 am

Ok so I called NSI and made an enquiry and there are no standards around this. So its whatever is agreed between the supplier and the client. Ah well.

Thanks for looking.

Rulland
Labourer
Labourer

by Rulland » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi All, I actually work for an intruder alarm company-and we have achieved NSI gold status etc.When we do an install we have to choose the most appropriate and unobtrusive route for our cables, all customers are made aware that the very nature of our job entails getting cables from point A to point B-whilst we take as much care and pride in choosing the route and thus concealing the wire-it is just not practicle to hide it all(unless it is a new build and we can first fix prior to final decoration etc).
At the end of the day we are alarm engineers and not carpet fitters,carpenters or builders-much as we try!!.
The extra time and therefore cost implications to totally hide all wiring would be far to prohibitive for the average householder to accept on top of the normal price for a job.
If a you ask a gardener to dig a hole in the middle of your lawn for a pond you must assume he is going to have to walk on the lawn to complete the task no matter how good a gardener he is!!.
Richard.

customerb
Labourer
Labourer

by customerb » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:10 am

Hi there,

thanks for the view. I have the issue because no one wants to touch another mans wiring in case they damage it, in case they dont shield it correctly when they bury it, whatever needs to be done.

I just had my place rewired. The cabling mastery of the electrician far surpasses that of the alarm company. The electrician hid all wiring with minimal damage - for me the damage from cabling is less concern as the house is down to bare walls at the moment.

I hate the its not my job approach - offer me as the client help, not apathy.

Lesson learned in my case: I should have had the alarm company specify where they want the sensors etc. what type of cable needs to be run. Then just got the electrician in to run the cables and test them. Leaving just the final fit for the alarm company.

What say you?

B.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:39 am