Whole house ventilation
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
seagate
Labourer
Labourer

Whole house ventilation

Post by seagate » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:42 pm

In our bungalow we get some condensation/mold on the external walls with access to kitchen and bathroom. I am looking at ducting extraction to a single multi-entry fan in the loft, vented through gable end or roof - so called 'wholehouse' ventilation. There is a big choice of these units and I would appreciate advice or comment from members with experience of puting in such a system.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Not really necessary, air bricks in each room will do the job, they're cheaper and servicing or maintenance costs.

htg

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi, if you are still thinking of 'mechanical ventilation' then had you considered a heat recovery unit?
if you use airbricks or simple extract system you are throwing out lots of warm air you have paid to heat up.
An H.R. unit has a heat exchanger which can recover up to 80% of heat into replacement fresh air in duct into say hall which circulates throughout house, only one or two more ducts,
Greenwood airvac do a range CML or CMEV vent only or MVHR for heat recovery, usual disclaimers but they are a reputable company,

regards Sparx

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:48 pm

'you use airbricks or simple extract system you are throwing out lots of warm air you have paid to heat up'

I understand people are concerned about losing heat, especially with the cost of gas and electric these days. But abit fresh air will do you some good. My bedrooms all have airbricks that are permanently in the open position, and the windows are very rarely closed.

htg

seagate
Labourer
Labourer

Post by seagate » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:53 pm

[quote="sparx"]An H.R. unit has a heat exchanger which can recover up to 80% of heat into replacement fresh air in duct into say hall which circulates throughout house, only one or two more ducts,
[/quote]
I had a look at these and they cost around £1000 more than the simple fan type. My sums put the annual saving at around £100 so payback is probably longer than the life of the fan.

[quote="htg engineer"]air bricks in each room will do the job
[/quote]
I fancy being able to boost the extraction during cooking, running the shower etc to stop the windows steaming up.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1