Window Sealing Advice
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jennifer1979
Labourer
Labourer

Window Sealing Advice

by Jennifer1979 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi - I'm new to this site and forum, but am hoping someone may be able to give some advice on how to solve my window/damp problem.

I've just spent the weekend removing woodchip wallpaper from my sitting room (a horrible and messy job!) and have discovered that when they replaced the windows with new double-glazed windows about 10 years ago, they attached the window trim (I think that's what it's called) to the woodchip wallpaper, which had since been painted over by the previous owner. Over the winter I thought I saw a small area of damp develop, but thought I'd wait to see what was going on when it came round to stripping the wallpaper. When I peeled the wallpaper away, there was black mould in behind the paper and quite a large gap between the wall and the edge of the window trim. I suspect that moisture has been getting in between the two and is starting to cause a damp problem. Obviously I'm just about to start stripping down the woodwork and prepping the walls for painting, so now's a good time to nip this problem in the bud! I've read somewhere that decorators caulk would be a good thing to use between the wall and the trim, but would this be enough to stop the moisture in it's tracks? I don't want to find myself redecorating in a year's time. I'm a novice, first time buyer and DIYer with a rather large 'project' on their hands, so I would be grateful for any advice anyone can give.

Thank you, Jenny

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Window Sealing Advice

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:25 pm

clean the area with neat bleach to remove the mould, then when dry use acrylic sealant to fill the gap, to smooth the mastic wet your finger with spit and slowly smooth it over

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 pm