Wires burnt in switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tetley09
Labourer
Labourer

Wires burnt in switch

by tetley09 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:31 am

I had a double light switch that fed a main light on one switch and a spot light on the other.

The spot light was no longer required so it was removed and the wires taped up and sunk into the ceiling.

At the light switch I removed the short common wire that went from one switch to the other.

The wires left was a live common wire (RED) and a mains wire which had earth, red and black.

The common went in the right common (the link wire linked this into the left common on the other switch)
The earth was cut off and went no where.
The red went into the right L1 and the black went into the left L1.

The main light was then replaced with a ceiling fan.

This all worked great for 3 weeks then the light switch smelt off fish and was red hot.

On removing the light switch the red which went into the right L1 had melted back and was no longer connected to the light switch.

I then replaced the double switch with a single switch.

I cut back the mains cable that went to the light (nothing was live on this) and earthed the cable to the light box. Put the live common wire from the wall into the common slot and then the red cable from the main cable which goes to the light in L1.

There is no other slot to put the black cable in so taped it up.

Is this correct. The light switch works but I am concerned for 2 reasons. Why did the wire melt? and is the original wires still live in the ceiling for the old spot light?

Help!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi, the reason for the original burn out was a loose connection, the fishy smell is typical of plastic used to make sw.
From your discription I think by removing the live link wire the spot light cable should be dead, loose connections cause most electrical problems so make sure all terms. are good & tight and after doing them up try the 'wiggle test' cause if you can pull a wire out by hand the action of pushing the sw. back to the wall can loosen wires enough to give a problem, regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:31 pm