Wiring 2 1-way Switches to Create a 2-way Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suhas.chatekar
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring 2 1-way Switches to Create a 2-way Switch

by suhas.chatekar » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:47 am

I'm trying to figure out if I can use a wifi smart relay such that the physical switch that the relay is connected to can still be used in a normal way. Can I connect live in of both the physical switch and the relay to the live-in together and live out of them both to the live-out together. Theoretically, it will work but not sure what will happen when both the relay and the physical switch are on.

Anyone has done this kind of wiring?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring 2 1-way Switches to Create a 2-way Switch

by Mr White » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:19 pm

I am not 100% sure what you are asking, BUT if you are asking can you use a wi-fi operated switch and a normal switch to operate the same device, yes you can. However unless both switches have change over contacts, then all you will get is one switch will over ride the other, so to turn the connected item off, both switches will have to be in the off position, you will not be able to turn the connected item on at one switch and off at the other.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring 2 1-way Switches to Create a 2-way Switch

by ericmark » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:48 pm

Electronic two way switches in the main use a S terminal with master slave so will not in the main pair with non electronic switches.

Also many allow a small current to flow when off to work the electronics, so any switch in parallel will stop the electronic one working.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 am