Wiring a bedroom ceiling fan/light. Please help!!!!!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
slowdive
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a bedroom ceiling fan/light. Please help!!!!!!

by slowdive » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:25 pm

I have two cables poking through the bedroom ceiling. One directly from the consumer unit which terminates at the bedroom and the other is from the switch.

The manufacturers diagram has confused me somewhat. It suggests wiring the fan/light as follows:-

(SUPPLY) (FITTING)
Switched Live --------------------- Brown (L)
Black or Blue (N) --------------------- Blue (N)
Switched Live --------------------- Light
Grn/Yellow (E) --------------------- Grn/Yellow

Forgetting the earths, the bit that's confusing me is the 'two' switched live's???.
I've been supplied with a 'loop' block but am assuming this is irrelevant as the circuit does not continue on.
[b]Would someone be able to explain 'clearly and simply' where I must connect my red & black supply cable and red & black switch cable?.[/b]

Thanks

Darren

The Baron
Labourer
Labourer

by The Baron » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:12 am

Darren

1.Put the two reds together in a "choc block"/ connector (make sure the connection is secure) and wrap some electrical tape around the "choc block"/connector such that no metal is visible.

2. Put the black from the consumer unit (feed) into the the terminal marked N and make sure it is secure.

3. Put a little bit of BROWN tape or sleeving around the remaining black cable and put it into either of the terminals marked switched live,you then need to put a link across to the other terminal marked switched live (using the same sized cable), yet again make sure the connections are secure.

4. The wiring connections are now complete.

N.B All the fans I have dealt with are of metal construction in which case ENSURE the Earths (circuit protective conductors) are also sleeved in green and yellow sleeving and connected to the metal work.
If you wish, instead of putting the link between the switched lives in, you could remove the cable from the fan switched live and put it into the light switched live.

In summary
two reds together, two switched lives together, black feed= N and switched black= switched live.

Good luck!

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Wiring a bedroom ceiling fan/light. Please help!!!!!!

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:22 am

[quote="slowdive"]I have two cables poking through the bedroom ceiling. One directly from the consumer unit which terminates at the bedroom and the other is from the switch.

The manufacturers diagram has confused me somewhat. It suggests wiring the fan/light as follows:-

(SUPPLY) (FITTING)
Switched Live --------------------- Brown (L)
Black or Blue (N) --------------------- Blue (N)
Switched Live --------------------- Light
Grn/Yellow (E) --------------------- Grn/Yellow

Forgetting the earths, the bit that's confusing me is the 'two' switched live's???.
I've been supplied with a 'loop' block but am assuming this is irrelevant as the circuit does not continue on.
[b]Would someone be able to explain 'clearly and simply' where I must connect my red & black supply cable and red & black switch cable?.[/b]

Thanks

Darren[/quote]

DARREN
ACTING ON YOUR OBSERVATIONS SIR.
FIRST HELP , CONFIRM THAT BLACK SWITCHWIRE IS TAGGED RED.
THE TWO REDS ARE CLASSED AS PERMANENT LIVES AND GO INTO A SEPARATE BLOCK, OR AS YOU CALL IT LOOP.
AS I PRESUME YOUR FANLIGHT REQUIRES THE SWITCH WIRE ( BLACK TAGGED RED ) TO CONNECT TO SWITCH LIVE BROWN AND SWITCH LIVE LIGHT. THIS WOULD GIVE U OPERATION OF LIGHT AND FAN WHEN WALL SWITCH IS ON. OBVIOUSLY U MIGHT HAVE INDEPENDANT PULL
SWITCHES ON UNIT TO AGAIN INDIVIDUALY , SELECT FAN AND LIGHT.
THE NEUTRALS ( BLACKS ) WOULD CONNECT TO BLUE ON FITTING .
THEN MOST IMPORTANTLY THE BARE EARTH WIRES COVERED IN GREEN
AND YELLOW SLEEVING CONNECT TO GREEN/YELLOW OF FITTING.

BLAKEY1963

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:10 pm