Wiring a UK switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Davidbrooks
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a UK switch

by Davidbrooks » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:53 am

Hi, I'm putting a new light in my loft. I want to put a switch between the light and the original power source. The switch I bought has 3 terminals marked '1 way', '2 way' and 'com' plus the earth terminal. I have live, neutral and earth coming from the light and the same coming from the power source. Firstly have I got the right switch and secondly which wires go where?!

David

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:04 pm

Switch is OK the line in goes to Com terminal and line out to lamp to 1 way and the neutrals don't connect to switch but just connect together.
Earths all connect together of course.
Posts like yours do worry me as if you have to ask do you really have the skill to do the work. Do remember you should also inspect and test and complete a minor works cert. Although it may seem unnecessary it is the completing of the paper work and the tests required to do that, which highlights most errors, and those errors may not be yours, but once you work on the system they become your responsibility. Also required for house insurance.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:27 pm