Wiring a waterfeature switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
waterfeature
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a waterfeature switch

by waterfeature » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:21 pm

Hi

I have a small waterfeature which is powered from the mains supply in my garage. The cable from the garage ends with an extension lead which is permanently live. A household plug is connected to this with the other end connected to the waterfeature motor. To activate the waterfeature, a switch on the extension lead is switched which makes the waterfeature work. This connection (extension lead / plug) has recently become exposed to the elements so i want to make the connection via a wall mounted external switch. I've purchased an external light switch, from B&Q, which has 3 connections inside which i believe are the live, switched live and earth. I'm not sure how to connect up the switch using the existing cabling. I'm sure this is very simple but just being careful. Any help would be much appreciated.

cheers
D

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:36 pm

If its a light switch the three connections are perm live, and 2 switched lives. You can ignore L2 as its not used in this case.

To wire it take the cable thats coming from the power source. The live goes into the COM terminal, the earth should go to an earth terminal on the body of the switch (assuming it has one) Leave the neutral for now.
Now take the cable to the feature. The live goes to the L1 terminal, the earth to the same place as the other earth, or join the2 together using a connector strip and join the neutral to the other neutral from the supply, again using a connector strip of the correct rating.

Bear in mind that if you are in England/Wales, this is certifiable work that needs a part p registered sparky to be involved.

waterfeature
Labourer
Labourer

by waterfeature » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:14 am

Thanks for the info and apologies for not acknowledging your message sooner.

cheers
D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:50 am