Wiring new Cooking and Seperate hob
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jdmgriffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wiring new Cooking and Seperate hob

by jdmgriffin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi there. Have just removed an old cooker/with hob unit from.kitchen, have an isolated 6mm connection separately fused switch

New cooker has a seperate hob.
Both have 2.5mm connections on them

Is it just a matter of connecting both the hob and the cooker into the terminal connection I have at the end of the 6mm cable?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring new Cooking and Seperate hob

by ericmark » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:52 pm

The normal way is to use a double cooker connection unit so you can have two separate supplies.

The rules allow one to have a trip at the destination if no more than 3 meters of cable and unlikely to be damaged, however there is normally no fuse within the units so in theory should have cable able to take current of the trip in the consumer unit, however it is unlikely you can get the 4 or 6 mm cable into the terminals of an oven, and oven not normally over 20 amp so although not strictly within regulations, I think most will use 2.5 mm cable.

The hob however may go over 20 amp, so you need to read the spec for the hob, I note my mothers old hob said 32 amp supply so that would need at least 4 mm cable and normally thermal setting cable is used not thermal plastic (90 degs C not 70 degs C) also when changing you need to comply with current regulations, so if a RCD is not fitted it will need an RCD fitting.

It is possible if there is free ventilation that you may get away with under sized cable, or that a special cable is fitted able to stand a higher heat, but normally we consider 2.5 mm good for 25 amp max, so read the book which should come with the hob.

jdmgriffin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Wiring new Cooking and Seperate hob

by jdmgriffin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:27 pm

many thanks for your reply.

The cooker itself came prewired with a 2.5mm cable.
the induction hob came and specified a 2.5mm cable to be used also.

The unit would be less than 3 metre cable on it from the fuse/cooker+hob.
This is currently a 6mm cable to the Cooker switch and then 6mm cable into a block terminal.
My thought was would it be sufficient to wire into this block with the cable from the hob and the cable from the cooker.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:37 pm