Wiring problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrisbooth
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring problems

by chrisbooth » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi, I have recently moved into a new house. the house is around 1920 and has been rewired in the past five years. I recently arrived home one evening and none of the lights were switched on. I noticed that a low energy bulb in one of the ceiling fittings was very faintly flashing, the flashing was rythmical. I have tried other low energy bulbs but they do not react the same. I have placed a neon mains tester on the live wire and even when switched off the neon glows slowly on and off again to some sort of rhythm. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem before asking an electrician to come and solve. I am fairly competent at DIY and do respect anything connected with electricity

Thanks

Chris

jackhawk
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jackhawk » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi,
Judging by the date of your post, you must have sorted it by now. If not, I would get the the whole house inspected and tested. Do you have a cert for the rewire 5 years ago? Best be safe than sorry.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi Chris, if only one bulb pulsed & others in same light don't then throw it away!!
As for neon test screwdrivers...no comment other than I would not own one, the most misleading, useless, unreliable device ever, if you put an oscilloscope on your mains supply you would be amazed at waveforms, pulses, spikes ect. switch-mode powersupplies, digital signalling devices ect.
Also at the end of a long circuit induced voltages from nearby circuits, and RF devices can affect low energy lamps which are themselves frequently the cause of interference due to tuned circuits in their inbuilt control gear.
If no other problems I would not worry unduly, B.W. SPARX

chrisbooth
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks

by chrisbooth » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:17 pm

Thanks for the helpful comments, I still have the flashing light, but will throw it out!!. My other concern is that I may be consuming large amounts of power even when switched off

Thanks

Chris

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:41 pm