Wiring Replacement Bathroom Spotlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rob39
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring Replacement Bathroom Spotlights

by Rob39 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi all,
First timer and certainly no sparky so apologies if I make little to no sense, but I could do with some pointers...

I'm looking to replace three spotlights in my bathroom. I've connected two so far following the instructions that came with the light fittings, but so far these are not working (but the one I've not replaced continues to work).

So either I'm connecting these incorrectly, or do they all need to be wired the same for them all to work??

Each spotlight has two main cables feeding it - each with a neutral and a live. As per the light fitting instructions I have connected the two sets of neutral together with the corresponding neutral in the light fitting. Same with the lives. Connect it all together and hey presto... darkness!

As I say, I'm yet to change the last one (need some light to wash the children tonight!). Is it possible that changing the third will make the others all work or am I missing something here?

The previous lights were connected differently - the cables were connected to a plastic connector of some description, but this was not compatible with the new fittings so I've cut these off. The fittings I have bought show the cable being connected as I have done, so I'm stumped as to where I'm going wrong.

Any ideas very welcome.

Thanks

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:38 pm

At risk of sounding unhelpful & nasty, I'm going to give you some very good advice. LEAVE THE LIGHTS ALONE AND GET A PART P SPARKY IN! It might cost, but it's worth it. information about part p is on this site. If you were competent at least what your doing would only be illegal, but as your clearly not what you are doing is both dangerous and illegal. Sorry this isn't the kind of help you were waiting to hear. (think you can ignore the part p bit if you are in Scotland, but it's still good advice to get a competent person to carry out the work.)

Rob39
Labourer
Labourer

by Rob39 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:21 am

Neither unhelpful or nasty. I'm under no illusions about my abilities so will call electrician immediately.

What is unhelpful is buying a light fitting in a major DIY superstore which makes no real reference to the importance of getting it installed professionally. Perhaps I was naive in assuming that replacing one spotlight with another would be relatively straightforward, but the light fitting instructions did nothing but encourage this, with the installation diagrams guiding me to wire it as I tried. I do think they need to be more responsible in how they recommend installation. The results for someone not prepared to call in help could be really nasty.

Thanks for the reply - it's taken in the spirit you meant it.
Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 pm