Wiring Up Outside Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NealBran
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring Up Outside Light

Post by NealBran » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:13 am

Hi,

I have just recently bought a new house and it has a switch in the hall and 4 wires on the outside of the wall currently covered by a white circle box. I have bought an outside light and want to wire it up.

The light I bought has a block ont he back that has the live, neutral and earth connectors. The wires outside the house have 4 wires, 1 bare which I presume is earth, 1 black, 1 brown and 1 grey. I am confused on how to connect them, the earth is obvious but which is live/neutral etc... Do I need a block connector with 4 blocks as one of these is the return to the swtich and doesn't go to the new light. The switch inside the house controls the outside light and also the hall light so its a double switch.

Can someone help please I am a bit of a novice?

Thanks

Neal

locofox
Labourer
Labourer

Post by locofox » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:45 pm

The 3 core and earth wires are for 2 way lighting, i.e your upstairs landing light. it allows the light to be turned off and on by either the switch in the hallway or on the landing. You would have to check with a meter to ensure that your using the correct wires to connect the light up.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi NealBran,
look in the sw & see which wires are connected to where, I would guess that there will be a connector in the sw. box for Neutral, & to allow an outdoor light with inbuilt PIR & sw override the sparks wiring the place has left you with options, ie one core for perm. live & one for sw. live.
he should have over sleeved one with blue as N & other 2 with Brown as L's,
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:07 pm