Wooden Board Between Roof Felt and Rafters Advice Needed
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

FWQ
Labourer
Labourer

Wooden Board Between Roof Felt and Rafters Advice Needed

by FWQ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:35 pm

I own a flat but the old owner messed about with it. In my loft i noticed that a wooden board has been placed between the rafters and the felt, please see picture below. I've arrowed it in red.
wooden board.jpg

The roof leaked last year and we thought it was a cracked tile which was remedied but i've taken rough measurements as I cannot get to the end of the loft and the left hand side end of the board is in alignment with where the leak came through my ceiling.

A neighbour who also lives on the other side of a flat roof like mine says they haven't got a board in their loft, as they would have noticed when they had contractors work in their loft.
I'm querying it because the picture below is exactly what is on the other side of the board.
I cannot see a reason why a wooden board would be placed between the rafters and the felt and as the old owner messed about with the roof tiles as evidenced in the picture below, i am wondering if he put the board there, (he might have damaged the felt) or is there a valid reason why a wooden board would be placed between rafters and roofing felt? and if so, what?
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
other side of wooden board.jpg
other side of wooden board.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 1848 times

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 am