wooden floor fillets... where can i buy them?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

wooden floor fillets... where can i buy them?

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:16 pm

simple question, is there anything commercially available, tapered strips of wood for example, to act as so-called fillets when filling the gaps in floorboards prior to filling? or is it a case of making your own?

i am sanding the boards in our hallway and have a void under the house so at present its a bit draughty. many of the gaps are too big to go down the pva and sawdust route and i think that fillets would look a lot smarter. can i buy anything or do i need to make my own?

thanks!

chris

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:45 am

I have never heard of people selling specifically fillets of wood because they would need to come in 100 different shapes and sizes. I tend to use bits that I have kept for just such an occasion.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:20 pm

yes exactly, i was thinking of some kind of tapered arragement so they could just be knocked into any sized gap and sanded smooth. maybe i've found a 'gap' in the market haha....

MT
Labourer
Labourer

by MT » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:23 pm

I have used wood fillets to fill gaps and it works v. well. Just went down the timber merchant and he cut some for me. Don't need different sizes if fillet is cut in a wedge shape (apart from lengths which you can cut yourself) just whack the thin edge in as far as you can and rough plane off excess, then use sander to level, going along the length of the fillet. Old strong tea works well as a stain, obviously without milk!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 am