Wooden floor scratch removal?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simonlovejoy
Labourer
Labourer

Wooden floor scratch removal?

by simonlovejoy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Hello folks,

I've got a bit of a problem with scratches that i've noticed on the floor in the property where i stay under a desk that has to be moved constantly.

Could anyone recommend, barring having to sand the entire floor (which is beyond my DIY skills i think), a solution to removing these? Is there a way to do it? I've read around on kits which one can buy for scratch removal, but i cant find any anywhere as yet... any solution would be welcome though.

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi Simon
Is the floor, Oiled, Hardwax Oil, Lacquered, Pre-finished or laminate? They all differ in the solution for repairs.
Post back and I will try to help.
TT

simonlovejoy
Labourer
Labourer

Treatment on floor

by simonlovejoy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:17 pm

As far as i understand, it's varnished? I asked the Letting Agency to find out for certain but unfortunately they were no help. Sort of B&Q style wooden interweaving slats.

Here's a link to a picture that i had to take for another purpose, but I'm hoping it might give an indication of the treatment:

[img]http://www.minelands.com/downloads/images/woodenshelf.jpg[/img]

Hope this helps!

Thanks!!

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:54 am

Hi Simon

If the finish is a lacquer (Varnish) and you have lots of tiny surface scratches you can use either a polish or polyurethane refinisher like "Freshen-up". These will apply a small amount of finish to the surface and mask small scratches.
If the problem is deep scratches through the lacquer finish to the wood below, you have more of a problem. Usualy I would suggest marking off to the edge of the block/plank with low tack masking tape, lightly sand the area and apply a number of coats of the same lacquer used on the rest of the floor. This relies on knowing the exact finish on the floor because they can all look different.

If the floor is a laminate there is not much you can do.

Regards
TT

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:35 am