DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Wooden Structure Under Wallpaper and Does Anyone Know What This is?

Postby Scollom85 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi Everyone

Our house is quite an age and I’m dying to get this horrible woodchip wallpaper off the wall. We bought the house a couple of years ago. I know I’m probably going to have to get the walls plastered but I’m worried about what’s under the wallpaper. These “supports” seem to be made of wood. I’ve been warned by a few people just to leave it all as it is but this room lets the rest of the house down a bagful (dining room).

Anyone know what these are, why they are there and what could happen after i’ve ripped the wallpaper off. I want to get rid of these things too.


Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:06 am

I'm far from an expert but that looks like shelving to me.

Whatever it is, though, the plasterer will just cover it up. You won't know it's there once the wall has been boarded and/or skimmed. There's little point trying to remove it. The best you can hope to achieve is to save about 15 mm of the size of the room. More likely, you'll create problems you didn't have before if you try to get it out.

If I were you I'd just get on with the stripping and plastering.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics