Work man done work that's not been agreed - what should I do
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

Lei
Labourer
Labourer

Work man done work that's not been agreed - what should I do

by Lei » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:48 pm

I wonder if someone can help me - any advice would be appreciated.

I have recently gutted and redone my bathroom. The person doing it, put up stud walls - which I asked for - then proceeded to put the pipework in front of them, saying "well the sink pipes are behind it and I couldn't fit the towel rail pipes behind it too". I had a back to the wall toilet that cost me £300, he told me he had to move the toilet across a bit, which I accepted, what he didn't tell me was that he was going to stand my £300 toilet in my garden and replace it with a cheap model and put a bendy pipe in to allow for this move instead of redrilling the hole. He has used untreated mdf wood for bath panel and other woodwork - and left unpainted nor sealed. He plumbed in a shower that doesn't work, I spoke to him about the shower saying I think there's a problem with it, if there is tell me, obviously do not plumb in a shower that doesn't work - I have a tenant in the flat and it's essential that I replace this if it doesn't work. But he's done it anyway. The ceiling which has been lowered has been left untreated and painted. And the new door he got for me is warped and doesn't shut and needless to say is untreated and not painted.

He is trying to charge me an extra £900 for the job than quoted and with all the above I don't really want to pay him what was agreed let alone the extra.

Can someone please advise me how I should handle this situation as I really don't know what I should do. I have someone who is going ot put right all the mistakes, although the original man has said that he will change the door and mdf for ply wood. I don't want him to as he has walked away fromthe job as it is and as much as anything for the toliet situation and pipes that I feel should never have happened, to change it now is a big job, so I'm stuck with it unless I want to disrupt the tenant more and pay for more tiles etc.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 pm