5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paulforde
Labourer
Labourer

Yale PBS1 Nightlatch and Staying Retracted Inside the Lock

by paulforde » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi all,

Replaced a Yale PBS1 nightlatch today.
Previous lock was a PBS1 so was literally a case of swapping over, all screw holes in correct place, etc

The fitting instructions say when fitting the lock to the backplate, retract the latch and press the red button on the lock to hold it there.

However, once the new nightlatch is attached and screws are in place the latch stays retracted inside the lock and won't pop out. . The latch will only pop out if I unscrew and wiggle the lock.

Off the door, the mechanism works perfectly even with the backplate fitted to it.

Seems like it's something really simple but I can't work out what it is!

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Paul

paulforde
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Yale PBS1 Nightlatch and Staying Retracted Inside the Lock

by paulforde » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi I sorted this. Adjusted the backplate slightly and it works fine now.

Only problem now is the key is difficult to turn in the lock (from outside) unless you pull the door hard towards you.

Door is now tight in the frame - could this be a result of the draught proofing strip around the inside of door being a little too thick?
Or does the keep need adjusting?

I’ll try a bit of rial and error in next couple of days but if anyone has any suggestions they’ll be gratefully received.

Thanks a lot

Paul

Doctor DG
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Doctor DG » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Paul , those locks need the keep to be adjusted quite loosely to prevent difficulty turning the key. They are such chunky locks that people with weakness in the hand and wrist sometimes find them very difficult to use.

kind regards

Steve Mulley

paulforde
Labourer
Labourer

by paulforde » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks Steve - appreciate the reply.
Paul

itaylor
Labourer
Labourer

by itaylor » Thu May 16, 2019 10:09 am

Have a similar issue; door had solid spindle which I replaced with a split spindle so can only be opened from outside with a key, problem is that the key seems reluctant to turn now when trying to unlock, locking seems ok though. When the door is open the key turns easier, so could this be an issue with the keep needing adjustment or do i require a different euro cylinder? just moved in so happy to change that for security purposes anyway,

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:24 am