York Stone
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIYSean
Labourer
Labourer

York Stone

by DIYSean » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm

My home has been built with reconstituted York stone.

The open face of each brick has a rough case surface to simulate real stone. This results in an uneaven brick surface that may be over 25mm (over an inch) above the line of the mortar.

I wish to add an extension to the house which will require me to tie the new brickwork to the existing brickwork.

I am reluctant to cut bricks out to allow the new bricks to be built in as I understand that settlement will cause the bricks to crack. Additionally, as one wall be at right angles to the existing wall this may be difficult but not impossible).

I am also reluctant to use a stainless steel wall strips/clips as these will have to be fixed on the high ponts on the existing brickwork. This would leave large gaps between the wall strip and most of the brickwork. If these gaps were filled with mortar or mastic the joint would look very unsightly. More importantly I believe the joint may be very weak.

I would be very grateful if someone could advise me on the techniques to be used when joining the new and existing 'york stone' brickwork.

Thanks

Sean

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

yorkstone

by welsh brickie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:08 am

you need a diamond bladed disc cutter to cut a straight line on the stonework then chisel it flat then use bluebird ties to join the new stonework to the existing

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm