Yorkshire Stone clean up of bitumen and paint
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
just joe
Labourer
Labourer

Yorkshire Stone clean up of bitumen and paint

Post by just joe » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:14 pm

I've had a reclaimed yorkshire stone coping stone installed on a dwarf wall just by my front door. It's covered in some sort of bitumen and remnants of what looks like green pain. I'm guessing it previously resided on a roof.

As you can hopefully see in the photos a layer of it is flaking off in places but seem well attached in others.

So I'm thinking of knocking of the remaining bits that are flakey, cleaning the bitumen of the remaining bits and then blending the two levels together by somehow abrasivly removing the lip with a scraper or wire brush drill attachment? Then maybe sealing it to stop further freeze thou damage.

I know it sounds rough but its no oil painting at the moment. I actually quite like that its a bit rustic but not that rustic.

any advise would be welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Yorkshire Stone clean up of bitumen and paint

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:24 pm

Hi justjoe
You will have to chisel off all the existing paint before you try and grind the surface. If you don’t the bituminous paint is likely to soften and soak into the York stone surface.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:14 am