Zinsser Gardz Problem When Sealing new Drywall
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
DIWombat
Labourer
Labourer

Zinsser Gardz Problem When Sealing new Drywall

Post by DIWombat » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Hello all, I have recently used Zinsser Gardz for the first time. I had put two mist coats on a room full of new drywall/plasterboard, thinking of painting the walls. Changed my mind, decided to use lining paper and paint over that.

I decided to try a coat of Zinsser Gardz over the mist-coated walls. It went on no problem. Dried well. The idea was to ensure that any future removal of the paper would be very quick and clean.

I gave it a couple of days before pasting on the lining paper and gave the paper a couple of days to dry.

When I put on the first coat of emulsion (Wickes Vinyl Matt), the paper started to come right off. Some of it continued to adhere to the wall, some of it erupted in huge blisters and many of the edges came right up.

I left the paint to dry, hoping that the paper would settle back down. Some parts did but most of it, including the edges, didn't.

Have removed the paper (well, that at least wasn't a problem!) and begun to sand the walls (120/240).

I phoned Zinsser this morning to ask if they could explain. They said no, Gardz was perfectly suited for wallpapering and suggested that maybe I had overdiluted the paste.

Alas, I had used the correct ratio of water to (Solvite) paste.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I don't want to repaper, apply Gardz over the paper and paint over the Gardz because I don't like the texture that paint has on yop of Gardz. Does anyone think that sanding down the Gardz will work?

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 pm