Priming MDF
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diynewbiesos
Labourer
Labourer

Priming MDF

Post by diynewbiesos » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:28 am

HI all,

My brotherinlaw made a fish tank stand and hood for us the cabinet doors and hood panels had to be made with MDF so as not to warp, I was going to prime it but was told a few coats of paint was all that was needed WRONG, after having quite a few coats of paint it looks streaky and horrid. The fish tank and stand is 6ft so its a lot of messy paint work to look at lol :lol:

My question is can i use a primer on it on top of the paint thats already on? would that do the trick?

Thanks in advance.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Priming MDF

Post by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:06 am

Hi

In all honesty it is probably best to rub it all down and start again, using the correct primer/sealer at the base stage and then a top coat once primer is dried. We do have a project page that walks you through the process here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/mdf.htm

Kind Regards

The DIY Doctor Team

Cook85
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Priming MDF

Post by Cook85 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:13 pm

I'd just sand it down, not to necessarily remove all the paint, but then put a good primer on and re-paint it. Bear in mind gloss paint needs to be spread quite thinly so that it doesn't streak.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:59 pm