Adding Light From Existing Ceiling Rose but no Spare Wires

Postby JonathanP » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi, I want to add a light to an existing ceiling rose, however there are no spare connection points in the rose, so would have to double up on them, is this a bad idea?
It is a type 1 circuit.
JonathanP
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 pm

I have to ask what is a "type 1" circuit?

Also what exactly are you trying to achieve? will this new lamp illuminate the same time as the one it is fed from, or will it be independent with its own switch?
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
28.7%

Postby JonathanP » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 am

I read somewhere that a type 1 circuit , used the ceiling rose as the junction box in the lighting ring.

Any way , I just want to add a light that works off the same switch as the existing light.
Attachments
DSC_0277.JPG
JonathanP
Progress to next rank:
75%

Postby Mr White » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:45 pm

I wouldn't read any more from that place you have been reading, its all wrong, lights are not on a ring either.

Regarding your original question, yes you will have to, but make sure the cables are secure. I also can not help but wonder what the grey cable that is hanging down, is for?
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
28.7%

Postby JonathanP » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Thanks,
The grey cable is the new one I need to connect in.
JonathanP
Progress to next rank:
75%

Postby JonathanP » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:34 pm

PS; This is the source of information http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/lightcircuit.htm
JonathanP
Progress to next rank:
75%

Postby Skid Sprocket » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:30 pm

All you need is to take a 1mm or 1mm twin and earth cable and connect to the same terminals that the pendant light is connected to and take it to the new ceiling rose and connect it to the new pendant. I am also wondering what the extra cable hanging down is for.
Skid Sprocket
Progress to next rank:
73.1%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!