Boxing in a central heating boiler.
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lesley1
Labourer
Labourer

Boxing in a central heating boiler.

by lesley1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:33 pm

We have converted our garage into a living space. As we were unable to move the central heating boiler the builder/joiner has built a cupboard around it with an opening door allowing access to the boiler. This has been made in MDF. Two questions ... is this a suitable material to use and if so is MDF easily paintable? I am concerned that upon painting the mdf will absorb the paint too much and warp the panels.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:25 pm

See this project about boxing.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/boilerhousing.htm

I certainly don't see why MDF should not be used for this purpose as long as you follow the guidelines for ventilation and clearances. Also, I cannot see why it should absorb the paint and warp.

goghat
Apprentice
Apprentice

by goghat » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:38 pm

no probs using mdf, very easy to paint and does not warp, very stable so long as its kept dry, water is enemy of mdf.

HandyMaxx
Labourer
Labourer

Boxing in a Boiler

by HandyMaxx » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:20 am

Hi, using MDF will not pose a problem for housing your boiler. I will point out however that you are correct in your assumption regarding the paint; MDF will absorb paint and a lot of it - this will be very frustrating after eight or nine coats and the wood still being visible! While it will not warp your cupboard, so much as waste your paint I would suggest using a designated MDF primer - this will be available in your local hardware store. One coat of this (follow tin instructions) will prepare the surface of the MDF and allow you to paint your MDF cupboard.

lesley1
Labourer
Labourer

by lesley1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks very much to you all for the advice. I feel a lot better about things now.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:41 am