How to Seal Plaster Before Using the Anti Mould Paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diylearner2020
Labourer
Labourer

How to Seal Plaster Before Using the Anti Mould Paint

by diylearner2020 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:54 am

I had some mould (due to condensation) on bedroom wallpaper so I have removed all the wallpapers. I am planning to paint the wall with Ronseal Anti-Mould Paint instead of using wallpapers. Also, bought a dehumidifier to fix the condensation issue.

Ronseal website suggests I need to seal the plaster before using the Anti Mould Paint for a newly prepared plaster. In my case, there were wallpapers on the wall so I think it still applies to me.

Can you please suggest how to seal plaster? If you can suggest any available products then it would be very useful.

Below is the photo of my wall after I removed all wallpapers.
Attachments
Wall.png

thedoctor

Re: How to Seal Plaster Before Using the Anti Mould Paint

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi

We have a project that covers everything you need to know here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/p ... laster.htm

Kind Regards

diylearner2020
Labourer
Labourer

by diylearner2020 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I read the article - it was very useful, thanks.

I just have one question - I have been told I do not need mist coat as the wall had wallpapers before. Looking at the article, it seems to be a good idea to apply mist coat. can you please advise?

Thanks.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:40 pm

Hi

Yes this is true, in light of that, it's best to remove the remaining paste residue. To do this wash the walls down with a hot water and sugar soap solution to soften the adhesive. Give it a good scrub to loosen any remaining residue and then once all loosened, wipe off with some clean warm water.

It will take a bit of work to get it off, but it will be worth it. Once all removed, ventilate room well and let everything dry out thoroughly.

In some ways, the wallpaper paste residue will seal the bare plaster and if it's well and truly stuck on there you could technically paint on it, but the paint will only ever be stuck to the adhesive and if that starts to loosen, the paint will come off with it, so it's always best to get back to the bare surface and work from there.

Once the wall is dry, you can then go over it with a mist coat. It may not need it but it won't hurt and any bare plaster will then be prepped for the top coat.

Hope this helps

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:09 am