Render Repair - Removing Expansion Joint and Repairing Render
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greyfergie
Labourer
Labourer

Render Repair - Removing Expansion Joint and Repairing Render

by greyfergie » Thu May 29, 2014 5:25 pm

My house is one of a self build from the Potton, Caxton Range.
The render is based on stainless twill-lathe and on build was dressed with a Sandtex High Build and then rippled.
At the time of render an expansion joint was inserted on the gable end wall above a 8 ft wide window. Over the past w4 yrs, the high build has flaked exposing an unsightly crack showing a line across the gable end.
I am seeking advise as to removing the expansion joint, repairing the render and then making good the exsisting High Build.
Any information would be gratefully appreciated?
Greyfergie ,located in SW

thedoctor

Re: Render Repair - Removing Expansion Joint and Repairing Render

by thedoctor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:06 pm

Dont come across too many expansion joints in render.Chopping out the render is not a difficult job and patching it up again is just a question of getting as much render into the fissure as possible then scraping it level using a straight edge either side of the hole or crack. If you want to know about the mix you should use we have a table of mortar mixes on this page and the attached image shows how to get your render level with the surface either side of it. I hope this all helps,please do let us know how you get on.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/mortarmixes.htm
Attachments
patching plaster.jpg
patching plaster.jpg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 3329 times

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:03 am