Stiff mixer tap - how to dismantle?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MickW
Labourer
Labourer

Stiff mixer tap - how to dismantle?

by MickW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 am

I have a mixer tap that is only a year old but is becoming increasingly stiff to operate - it virtually needs two hands. From reading these forums it seems that it needs de-scaling and/or new O rings. My problem is that I can't see how to dismantle it. Any ideas on how to do this please?

It is a Roper Rhodes Storm Basin Mixer - 221202
Google "bathrooms365.com/acatalog/Roper_Rhodes_Storm_Basin_Mixer_w_o_Waste.html"

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:42 pm

MickW,
Have you tried unscrewing the operating rod?
end

MickW
Labourer
Labourer

by MickW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks. I have tried that but it won't move easily. I can't see how I'm going to undo that without a good grip/wrench on it that is sure to wreck the shiny chrome plated surface. Frustrating.

Even if it I do get it off, I'm not sure what that will reveal in terms of access to the rest of the tap.

Does anyone know who the manufacturers are please? I can't find any contact for "Roper Rhodes" on the internet.

MickW
Labourer
Labourer

by MickW » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:14 pm

stoneyboy, it seems that you were right - removing the rod is the key. I've found instructions that say it has to be removed and there is then a grub screw behind it which will allow access. So, I'll get to work with some de-scaler and see if I can remove it without wrecking the chrome finish (although I'm not too optimistic).

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:45 pm

MickW,
Thanks for the feedback, soak the spindle in de-scaler first then a thread release lubricant.
end

MickW
Labourer
Labourer

by MickW » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:18 pm

A quick follow-up. I am now sure that the problem was not the tap or the cartridge. It was simply that the cartridge retaining ring was too tight.

Simply loosening it was all that was required (after gaining access!). I don't understand why, but it seems to tighten with use over time.

struggler
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Stiff mixer tap - how to dismantle?

by struggler » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi
Can anyone help?
I have the same problem of stiff basin mixer tap Roper Rhodes Storm - I have removed the handle rod and the grub screw but cannot then remove the tap head either by pulling straight up or twisting one way and pulling up or the other way and pulling up. The stiffness then disappears for a while but then comes back. I have tried soaking in descaler then spraying under the taphead with lubricant but with no sucsses - Any ideas please

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:07 am

Not sure how you remove the head as taps are slightly different.

It may be useful to know Roper Rhodes taps have a 10 year guarantee. So if you contact their customer sales / technical department they may be able to offer a replacement or at least advise how the internal parts can be accessed.

struggler
Labourer
Labourer

by struggler » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks plumbob- Roper Rodes have sent me a new ceramic cartridge and dismantling instruction which is good of them- but it shows that once the grub screw behind the handle has been removed the tap top should pull off. It is on a square shaft, its that that I cannot do. I know square shafts can be difficult as cycle cranks can be fitted that way and they can seize solid too. Will have to have a go after Christmas but if anyone has any words of wisdom they will be greatly received!

struggler
Labourer
Labourer

by struggler » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Update- I contacted Roper Rhodes and a lady called Vickey contacted me - she sent me a new ceramic cartridge and instrutions that included how to remove the tap top. However I had been using the correct procedure (straight pull up) and could not budge it, so I contacted her again and and she offered, and sent a new top so that I could cut the old one off. Bit of a job but it was obvious that the top and the cartridge shaft were an interference fit- no amount of pulling would have shifted it without cosmetic damage to the tap. The new tap top is a much looser fit so hopefully I should not have the same trouble again!
I have to say that Vickey was most helpful and very prompt with correspondance and dispatching the parts.
In this day and age a change from the norm.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:22 pm

struggler wrote:I have to say that Vickey was most helpful and very prompt with correspondence and dispatching the parts.
In this day and age a change from the norm.

Glad you've got it sorted.

I have to say I am not surprised that you received such good help from the customer service. I have to contact customer technical services regularly and can honestly say most are very helpful if the product is under guarantee. These people are either manufacturers or major distributors and have the expertise to offer both spare parts and expert advice. In my experience, you are far more likely to receive disinterested service from high street retailers than any of these people.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Take a look at the main site where we have a huge plumbing section with answers to thousands of questions, most with images to make it easy and some with videos.....Even easier! Here is a link to the page on dismantling a mixer tap. https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/re ... er_tap.htm

Haji786
Labourer
Labourer

by Haji786 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:51 pm

I’m new to this site and don’t know where to post a new question.

However I’m also experiencing stiffness issues with my kitchen single lever mixer tap.
I’m able to remove the “red/blue” plastic thing to access the hole where the grub screw is located.

My problem is that I’m unable to loosen the grub screw itself. It’s an Allen Key head and I have used both standard Allen key head along with the hex head and the screw is not rotating at all?

Any ideas/suggestions pls?

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:06 pm