wiring a ceiling rose - 3 black cables from ceiling?!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jungle Jen
Labourer
Labourer

wiring a ceiling rose - 3 black cables from ceiling?!

by Jungle Jen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:13 pm

Hello
I would like some advice on wiring a ceiling rose, I have checked the projects pages but... I only have 3 all black cables descending from the ceiling. How can I find out which is which?
Thanks

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by steve the plumber » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:38 pm

This is what you need:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/re ... itting.htm

If the switch is not clearly labelled then trial and error. If the light is upstairs, climb up in the loft and trace the switch wire.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi, this is when you need to be a 'Sherlock Holmes'
probably the other circuit cables, (3 Reds & 3 earths) are tucked up in ceiling.
what you have is 2 neutrals which go to blue flex end of rose + 1 switched live which would have been on its own & should go to brown flex end of rose, this should have red sleeve/tape on it.
It may be possible by examination to see 2 that have been twisted together or 1 that was on its own, if not and as has been suggested visual check not possible then continuity test from switch to each in turn will show switch line,
Always work on dead circuit and if unsure please get help, it should take no more than 1/2 hr for leckie to fix.
regards Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:27 am