Attaching Curtain Pole and Radiator To Plasterboard Wall - What's the Best Method for Fixing?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wind Gatherer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Attaching Curtain Pole and Radiator To Plasterboard Wall - What's the Best Method for Fixing?

by Wind Gatherer » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:34 pm

I have to replace the curtain pole above the sliding doors on my single storey kitchen extension. The plasterboard is attached to the breeze blocks with dab and dot I think its called.
I did get some spring toggles thinking I could use these to attach the old poles fitting brackets to the wall. The spring toggle wings by the time they went through the plasterboard, behind the plasterboard is a metal lintel, there is not enough space to screw the toggle if the wings opened up.

I got a new curtain pole from Argos,I was thinking I could use those plaster board metal raw plugs with screws that go in them to put the curtain pole up.
On Ebay the ones I found the screws that fit in them are to large to fit in the Argos pole brackets.

I'm thinking now, if I cut out oblong sizes of the plaster board, stuff some newspaper around the outside of the hole then fill with plaster and finish that with filler. Then drill this and use ordinary raw plus and screws that will fit the Argos pole brackets.

Will this method work or is there a better one?

Also I have a large metal dual skin radiator that needs to be mounted on the copper pipes. I was thinking of getting radiator brackets to mount on wall but again this is not a solid wall but dab and dot plasterboard fitted on top of the breeze blocks. Could I cut out holes again in the plasterboard and fill with plaster, then screw the brackets into the plaster?

I need to attach a 4 x 2 sheet of plywood into the same wall above the radiator.
What would be the best way to do this?
Cheers.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Attaching Curtain Pole and Radiator To Plasterboard Wall - What's the Best Method for Fixing?

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:36 am

Hi

Not sure if you have seen but we have a few projects on fixing curtain poles to plasterboard walls that may help: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/diy-how-to- ... ration.htm

Specifically the project on fixing curtain poles that involves sticking a planed piece of timber above the opening using construction adhesive that you can then screw the pole to: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/poles.htm

Additionally, we also have a project on fixing to plasterboard: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fi ... rboard.htm the nylon toggles may be better for your situation as they compress in the hole.

It really depends on how much gap you have between the wall and the plasterboard - If the gap is very little have you considered fixing directly into the wall - drill through plasterboard and into wall, insert rawl plugs into wall and then use longer screws to fix the brackets through plasterboard and into the rawl plug in the wall.

Hope this helps

Wind Gatherer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Attaching Curtain Pole and Radiator To Plasterboard Wall - What's the Best Method for Fixing?

by Wind Gatherer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:34 am

Hi and thanks,
Looked through the links, the one, " Fixing Curtain Poles and Rails " using Gripfil to glue a strip of planed timber to the plasterboard wall."

Article goes on to say, " Use a couple of oval, or lost head nails to tack the timber to the wall to stop it slipping down until the adhesive is set rock hard in 24 hours. Then simply fix your pole, track or rail to the timber. "

I can't nail any nails into the plasterboard to hold the timber to the wall?

I think the other link about using nylon toggles might be the route to go down?

I looked at various plasterboard nylon toggle fixings on Ebay. I saw these at a good price, quite a quantity and described as heavy duty. Ebay item number 331204470067 the 10 x 40 size. I thought would also be suitable for attaching the 4 x 2 plywood sheet onto the plasterboard wall above the radiator?
Also the radiator itself, the radiator support brackets, and additional support from the copper pipes radiator sits on.

The plasterboard on the wall is 12.5mm . The original holes for mounting the old curtain pole centre bracket were 45mm apart. The distance from the surface of one hole to the breeze block behind is 42mm. The distance from the surface to the metal lintel behind is 71mm.
Any help and advice much appreciated.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi

You're right, it does comment nailing the timber to hold while the glue sets but you could rig up a support, to support from the floor with a weight attached to push it into the wall if you have a few sections of longer timber, or you can brace off of an opposite wall, again if you have any lengths of timber etc.... handy?

You could knock the nails through the timber in 3 - 4 places and then knock the nails into the plasterboard (making sure it's level while you do it). Tis won't provide any "support strength" per say but should hold the timber on the wall while the adhesive sets.

In terms of the toggles - it's certainly worth giving them a go but may be worth getting a few first and testing just so that you can confirm they grip in and give decent support. Try this in an inconspicuous place first, say, for where the radiator brackets will go so that in the hopefully unlikely event it doesn't work then you wont be left with any unsightly holes.

Hope this helps

Wind Gatherer
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Wind Gatherer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi,
Yes I have some timber I should be able to use as a brace. I think these problems will soon be solved.
Thanks loads.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:36 pm