Dishwashers and dishwasher problems are a fairly new part of our lives but most people who spend any time in the kitchen wonder how they did without them!
Many of the things that go wrong with a dishwasher are user errors and as much as we don’t like to admit it, could have been avoided if only we had read the instructions. The following is a list of easily rectifiable problems but if you are at all worried, or encounter something not explained here, please call an engineer.
No power to dishwasher:
- Check other appliances for power cut
- Check fuse in plug and consumer unit
- Check door is closed properly
- Check water is switched on
- Overloaded with detergent
- Check all pipes are connected properly with no splits
- Seals round door leaking
- Waste pipe split
Dishwasher not washing:
- Badly stacked in machine
- Low water pressure
- Clean the strainer and filter
- Water may be too hard to get a good wash
Dishwasher not filling:
- Is valve from cold water open?
- Turn water off, remove hose from dishwasher, turn waste on gently to see if hose is blocked
- If hose is not blocked it may be the inlet valve
Dishwasher not taking the detergent:
- Try using less detergent
- Spray arm may be blocked. Poke out holes with a cocktail stick.
Dishwasher not draining:
- Is drain hose damaged, blocked or bent?
- Are the drains blocked?
- Is sump strainer or filter blocked?
- If your dishwasher hose goes into an appliance trap has the end been cut off of the end of the spigot?
- If it makes an odd sound it may be the pump
You might like to visit our video section on troubleshooting in our plumbing section to to watch a video on common dishwasher problems.
All project content written and produced by Mike Edwards